Jump to navigation Jump to search
From today's featured article
Kadambini Ganguly ( Bengali: কাদম্বিনী গাঙ্গুলি; 18 July 1861 – 3 October 1923) was one of the first two female graduates in British India and the first female physician in South Asia to be educated in European medicine. In the late nineteenth century, she earned a degree in Western medicine and, along with Anandibai Joshi, became one of the earliest female physicians in India. Kadambini, the daughter of Brahmo reformer Brajkishore Basu, was born on 16 July 181 in Bhagalpur, Bihar. Her original home was in present-day Bangladesh Chandshi of Barisal. Her father was the headmaster of Bhagalpur school. Brajkishore Bose along with Abhaycharan Mallick campaigned for women's rights in Bhagalpur. They established the women's organization Bhagalpur Mahila Samiti in 183 AD. This incident was the first in India. Kadambini started her education at the Hindu Mahila Vidyalaya holding the hand of Dwarkanath and her friend Kadambini's great-grandfather Manmohan. Once upon a time, Kadambini saved the life of Dwarkanath's polio-infected son Satish by washing his head during a fever. Mahendra Lal Sarkar, the then famous doctor, also praised her intelligence for this. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- Grapes light on fire in the microwave.
- There are almost 8 million possible seven-digit phone numbers per area code.
- Spaghetto, confetto, and graffito are the singular forms of spaghetti, confetti, and graffiti.
- McDonald's once created bubblegum-flavored broccoli.
- The average mammal takes 21 seconds to empty its bladder.
- Chewing gum is banned in Singapore.
- The average U.S. household has 300,000 things in it.
In the news
- TMC won 213 seats made a landslide victory in Bengal
- Biden Wants to Pay for Infrastructure Plan With 15 Years of Corporate Taxes
- CBSE Board Exam 2021: CBSE Makes Big Announcement For Students Who Test COVID Positive This Exam Season
- 6 year old Walsall boy, finds '488-million-year-old' fossil in garden
- 17 year old Shubham Singh is One of the Youngest Entrepreneur of India
- Donald Trump said - If I lose then America will be captured by China in 20 days
On this day
- 1595 William Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet" is thought to have been first performed. Officially published early 1597.
- 1886 Karl Benz patents the "Benz Patent-Motorwagen" in Karlsruhe, Germany, the world's 1st automobile with a burning motor
- 1892 The Coca-Cola Company is incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1896 Emile Grubbe is the first doctor to use radiation treatment for breast cancer
- 2002 US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address describes "regimes that sponsor terror" an "Axis of Evil", which includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea
Picture of the day
Other areas of Gyaanipedia
- Gyaanipedia is having its old site on Wikia powered by Fandom which was the most oldest and the first site of Gyaanipedia
- Gyaanipedia is having its Meta site also.
Gyaanipedia is hosted by the Gyaanipedia Association, a non-profitable organization that also hosts a range of other projects.
- The Indian wiki: English · हिन्दी · বাংলা · తెలుగు · தமிழ் · मराठी · ગુજરાતી · ਪੰਜਾਬੀ · മലയാളം · ಕನ್ನಡ · मैथिली · भोजपुरी · Fiji Hindi · বেটুপাত · ଓଡ଼ିଆ · اُردُو · मारवाड़ी · हरयाणवी · संस्कृतम् · فارسی
- International wikis: Francais · Espanol · Italiano · 日本語 · Deutsch · Afrikaans · 中文 · Русский · Polski · Português do Brasil · 中文(台灣) · Qafár · Аҧсуа · Türkçe · Acèh
- Some new wikis: